Monday, October 10, 2011

The Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter

I finally finished this book over the weekend. I really enjoyed it, as it was a very innocent and sweet book. However, it is not a book that everyone would enjoy because of the archaic style of language used. It elevates the reading level, so that young adult readers would most likely not enjoy it. This is the second book of Gene Stratton Porter's that I have read and I would like to read more.

The plot of the story is quite adorable. Elnora is a young girl who is very interested in going to high school in the nearest town, but it costs money. Her mother is very embittered over the death of Elnora's father and she blames Elnora. Therefore, she send Elnora to high school, shabbily dressed. Elnora is embarassed, but determined. She raises money for clothes and school through catching moths for a collector. She puts herself through high school. Eventually, the mother and daughter come to love one another because the mother discovers that her dead husband was untrue during their marriage. Later in the story, a young man comes to the Limberlost, the forest, and falls in love with Elnora, but he is betrothed so Elnora will have nothing to do with his romance. The rest of the novel is a love story about the two of them.

Cute book, but a difficult read. I think it is worth it, though.
I have decided to start rating my books from 0-5, with 5 being the best. So, I will give this book a:

3.5

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment