Thursday, October 14, 2010

Various Magazine Articles

So, I have been on a kick of reading magazines a lot. There seems to be a lot going on in the world that is extremely confusing, so I have been trying to keep up on my current events. I get Time magazine and even though there is usually only one good article per issue, the magazine was cheap to buy, so I got it. I read a recent article about how important bullying prevention is and how bullying is different today, than it was for previous generations. The article talked about how bullying before technology was different, because you had to catch your victim in order to torment them. Today, you simply just have to send a nasty facebook message, Tweet, or youtube video. The article was extremely prevalent due to the recent teen suicides, this past month. Another Time article I read was about the Baptist minister Phelps and whether his protests are supported by the first amendment. Personally, I believe he is allowed free speech, but at the same time is assaulting verbally the mourners at various funerals. His protests are very slanderous also, and he should be held accounatble for them. I am also reading on a book called Wanted, which is fairly mindless, but easy to read. It is a story about an Amish girl, who was wild during her rumspringa, and is now worried that her past will catch up with her. I am only on page 80 in that book so far. I would guess that I have read an hour and a half to two hours, between the articles and the book.

1 comment:

  1. You are clearly and avid and fast reader - super! I have enjoyed reading your posts. I like books about Amish people, too, so they one sounds very appealing to me. Good call on reading magazines. Current events are very important, especially for secondary teachers. Plus, that is about the right reading level for high schoolers. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete