Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Reading Post

Joey Pigza Swallowed The Key, by Jack Gantos
     This was an assigned reading, but I really enjoyed it (I actually read it all at once!). It is a juvenile fiction but the content is suitable for adults, in fact, I think it would be good for more adults to read it. It is a story about a little boy in elementary school who has ADHD. The book is told from his point of view and I feel that it gives wonderful insight into the mind of a child with this type of disability. The book is a little sad in parts because you realize the boy is not getting the kind of help he needs and everyone blames him for the problems he has in school.
     I honestly can't believed that I enjoyed this book so much. I think that I had the impression that since it was juvenile fiction I was not going to enjoy it, but I was completely wrong! I would recommend this book to anyone who plans to spend time around kids, whether they want to teach or not. I read this book all at once, before I could fall asleep I had to finish it, and it took 1hr 40 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I have written down that book and will look for it soon. Gantos tends to be a great author. I usually really enjoy juvenile lit and would encourage you to continue looking for good reads in that area. I read The Hunger Games this summer, which is juvenile fiction, and it was one of the best books I've read recently. Keep looking in that genre! Great post.

    ReplyDelete